New arrival!

Sepal are proud to announce the arrival of a very special little one.

Please welcome the newest member of the Sepal family.

Sepal’s vision is to provide unique, optimised infant feeding solutions that parents and professionals choose to use. 

Clinicians have expressed concern to us about the challenges faced by neonates born prematurely or with serious medical conditions. Infants who are unable to safely feed orally until they reach the appropriate developmental milestones or have surgical intervention.

Neonatal research has explored the importance of non-nutritive sucking (NNS) to support the development of oral feeding skills in pre-term neonates. The encouragement of NNS during gavage feeding has been described as supporting sucking behaviours, digestion and a calm state.


With so many Australian nurseries now choosing to use the Sepal range of teats , it made sense to consider how to better support these infants in their transition from NNS to oral feeding.

The Sepal Extra Small Teat range provides a gentle step by step pathway from nil orally to full oral feeding.

Using a teat encourages greater interaction with the neonate, as they need to be supported with bottle and teat. Thus enhancing the bonding relationship and perhaps reducing stress and anxiety for both parents and neonates.

“Parents have appreciated using a bottle and teat system, seeing it as a step closer to transitioning to a traditional feeding system in comparison to offering a dummy, and allowing them more time to bond with their newborn around feed times”


Speech Pathologists from across Australia were enthusiastic to participate in trialing the Pre-Feeder teat, describing it as "an option that continues to work on facilitating transition to oral feeding".

36 skilled professional users, from 15 hospitals, responded to the survey.

80% were working in a NICU/SCN of a Metro tertiary hospital, with the other 20% working in smaller Special Care Nurseries.

All used the trial teat with infants who were NPO - nil orally.

Additionally, 30% also trialed the teat with infants displaying oral aversion.


"Currently we are using the No Flow teat to support neonates who are physiologically stable and demonstrating readiness cues for feeding but are unsafe for oral feeding while they await further corrective surgery often for a prolonged period”

90% of respondants linked use of the Pre Feeder teats with timing of NG feeds - used simultaneously.

90% of infants who used the trial Pre Feeder had their first oral feed using the Sepal Extra Small Teat Ultra Slow Flow.

The trial teat was used predominantly with neonates from 0 - 3 months of age.

"They are great. Nursing staff have had wonderful feedback
as they provide the babies with the visual of a bottle and encourage sucking whilst being NG fed - to support the oral and enteral association for positive long-term feeding outcomes.

I often transition those infants NPO home with the Pre-Feeder as a part of their oral stimulation plan, whilst awaiting further growth/maturity to re-try oral feeding."

Complex Needs

The trial teathas been beneficial in use pre-operatively with patients who have oesophageal atresia +/- TOF, laryngeal abnormalities, such as laryngeal clefts and bilateral vocal cord palsy. It has allowed for us to safely start non-nutritive feeding experiences and promote safe suck swallow coordination in pre feeders."

"As a clinician, using the no flow teat has allowed for a seamless transition to the ultra-slow and slow flow Sepal teats as the shape and size of teat doesn’t change. The “No Flow” teat allows parents to keep the dummy for comfort/settling."

How to Use

Attach the "Pre-Feeder" to a Sepal 50ml vial to simulate a normal oral feeding position.

Liquid can be added to the vial to change the texture and pressure in the teat.

Support neonate in a safe and appropriate position to facilitate non-nutritive sucking.

Reprocessing Instructions

Extra Small Teats - Technical Data Sheet

Contact us

If you would like to receive an introductory sample box of the XTNF send through your details


The Pre Feeder (No Flow) teat is available for purchase in either bags of 50 or bags of 10.

This item is not available in the Sepal retail range